Celebrating our 50th Anniversary
In 2019 we celebrate the 50th anniversary of the establishment of Sun Hung Kai & Co.
From our beginnings offering brokerage and related services, the Group has grown steadily to become an investment and financial services firm with HK$40 billion of assets. The Group forged a path into Mainland China more than 20 years ago and has pioneered an array of financial service offerings.
Through constant innovation and excellence, and the Group’s deep understanding of market dynamics, the Company has evolved with the times. The Group has successfully weathered economic cycles, carefully seized promising opportunities and delivered consistent returns to its shareholders.
1969 – 2006
A Pioneering Force in the Brokerage Industry
From a small team of seven staff, the company’s brokerage business grew exponentially through ground-breaking, market-leading initiatives that included establishing a footprint in Mainland China and launching an online brokerage platform as early as 2000.
- 1969 - Brokerage business founded by Hong Kong businessmen Mr. Fung King Hey, Mr. Kwok Tak Seng and Mr. Lee Shau Kei, marked the beginning of Sun Hung Kai Financial
- 1970 - The first local broker to have a research department
- 1983 - Listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- 1988 - Acted as an advisor to Shenzhen for the development of its capital markets, subsequently licensed as one of the first underwriters in the B-Share market
- 1996 - Allied Properties (H.K.) Limited acquired the Fung family’s equity interest in the Company.
- 2000 SHKOnline.com launched
2006 – 2015
Taking the Lead in Consumer Finance and Wealth Management
2006 and 2007 marked a profound turning point for the Group, when it successfully entered the consumer finance industry by acquiring a majority stake in market leader UA Finance. The appointment of Mr Lee Seng Huang as Group Executive Chairman transformed the brokerage business into Hong Kong’s largest independent wealth management platform, Sun Hung Kai Financial.
- 2006 - Acquired a majority stake in UA Finance
- 2007 - UA Finance commenced business in Shenzhen and expanded to 15 Chinese cities over the next decade
- 2011 - Wealth management premium brand SHK Private launched
- 2012 - UA Finance pioneered the “No Show” loan product in Hong Kong, a precursor to its online loan business
- 2014 - Online strategy commenced in China
2015 – Today
A Full-Spectrum Investment Platform with a Global Reach
The sale in 2015 of 70% of the Sun Hung Kai Financial business to Everbright Securities, consistent with Sun Hung Kai Financial’s long-stated strategy to gain greater access to the fast-growing wealth management sector in Greater China, was an important step in the Group’s further transformation into a comprehensive finance and investment group. The Group is now focused on a core of financial service offerings as well as principal investments, drawing on a winning combination of its heritage, extensive connections and financial strength.
- 2015 - Everbright Securities Company Limited acquired 70% of the Sun Hung Kai Financial business,
(renamed Everbright Sun Hung Kai)
Established mortgage loan business Sun Hung Kai Credit
Formed China car financing leasing joint venture, LSS Leasing
Expanded the Principal Investments platform
- 2017- UA Finance formed a partnership with China Unionpay to market SME loan products to the
latter’s point-of-sale terminal users.
UA Finance launched online lending business platform, UA Yirongzhan.
- 2018 - Sun Hung Kai Credit’s loan portfolio surpassed HK$3 billion
- 2015 - Everbright Securities Company Limited acquired 70% of the Sun Hung Kai Financial business, (renamed Everbright Sun Hung Kai)
Our staff are the foundation of our success, and we want them to grow with us.More Detail